Enjoy the beauty of a greenhouse in any room! Our exclusive Desktop Terrarium provides a perfect home for slow-growing plants that thrive in bright, indirect light. These plants will grow happily with surprisingly little effort from you. In return for minimal care, they'll provide greenery the year round without complaint. Each kit includes:
Simple instructions for planting the terrarium and caring for your plants are included.
WEATHER PERMITTING - Working with Mother Nature
In our business, we work closely with Mother Nature. In the colder months when we stipulate that an item is shipped “weather permitting”, that means temperatures outside our shipping facility in northwestern Connecticut and along the shipping route must be warm enough for tender plants to survive in unheated delivery trucks. Our practice of waiting for windows of milder weather may result in the occasional delay, but our customers tend to appreciate the care we take to make certain their plants arrive in the very best possible condition. Questions? Don’t hesitate to call our customer service staff at 1-800-411-6159.
HOW PLANTS ARE SHIPPED
The size of the plants we ship has been selected to reduce the shock of transplanting. For some, this means a large, bareroot crown. Others cannot travel bareroot or transplant best if grown in containers. We ship these perennials and annuals in 1 pint pots, except as noted. We must point out that many perennials will not bloom the first year after planting, but will the following year, amply rewarding your patience. We ship bulbs as dormant, bare bulbs, sometimes with some wood shavings or moss. Shrubs, Roses, vines, and other woody plants may be shipped bareroot or in pots. The size of the pot is noted in the quick facts for each item.
WHEN WE SHIP
We ship our bulbs and plants at the right time for planting in your area, except as noted, with orders dispatched on a first-come, first-served basis by climate zone. Estimated dates for shipping are indicated in the Shipping Details box for each item. Please refer to the Shipping Details box to determine the earliest shipping time. Unless you specify otherwise, fertilizers, tools, and other non-plant items are shipped with your plants or bulbs. Please supply a street address for delivery. Kindly contact us with two weeks notice, if you'll be away at expected time of delivery.
We guarantee to ship plants that are in prime condition for growing. If your order is damaged or fails to meet your expectations, we will cheerfully replace or refund it. Please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-503-9624 or email us at [email protected]. Please include your order number or customer number when contacting us.
The nurturing confines of a terrarium allow indoor gardeners wonderful opportunities to grow a wide range of plants that would otherwise not survive in the dry atmosphere of our homes and offices. Its clear, enclosing glass creates a little world in which moisture continually cycles from the soil to create the humid environment these plants require. And, because of this closed, balanced system, a terrarium needs little care.
LIGHT: Bright, indirect light is ideal. Avoid bright direct sun, because glass magnifies light and can burn leaf tips. Remember that the amount of light from a window can vary with seasons, especially after trees drop their leaves. Fluorescent lights designed for growing plants are another option. Rotate your terrarium occasionally for even light distribution.
TEMPERATURE: Day and nighttime temperatures between 65–78°F are fine year-round. Keep terrariums away from window air conditioners and radiators when in use.
WATERING: Soil should be evenly moist; water only when soil feels dry to the touch just beneath the surface. A tightly closed terrarium may not need watering for months and then only a light sprinkling; never drench the soil. Rainwater or distilled water is preferable. Watering needs will vary with the type of plant as well as the amount of light and seasonal conditions.
HUMIDITY: Moist soil in the enclosed container will maintain the necessary high humidity.
FERTILIZER: To keep plants from growing too rapidly, do not fertilize.
CONTINUING CARE: Plants in a terrarium require low maintenance and need only occasional monitoring for signs of a developing problem. You may trim the ends of plants or pinch leaves to maintain size and shape.
Air Plant Terrarium Kits
For LIGHT, TEMPERATURE, FERTILIZER & CONTINUING CARE: Please see instructions above.
WATERING: Once per week, spritz lightly 2 or 3 times with a plant mister to moisten.
EASY STEPS TO PLANT YOUR NEW TERRARIUM:
1. Open your package carefully and place all of the contents on a flat work surface.
2. In a separate bowl, moisten your soil.
3. If your kit has pebbles or gravel, place H the pebbles or all of the gravel in the bottom of your container.
4. Sprinkle 1–2 tablespoons of charcoal over the pebbles or gravel.
5. Add about 1½–2½″ of moist soil, depending on the depth of your container. Take care not to splash too much soil on the sides of your container. Be certain to tamp the soil down slightly to eliminate any air pockets. A good homemade tamping tool is a barbecue skewer with a wine cork on the end.
6. Remove the plants from the pots. Do not break up the root ball.
7. Dig one pocket in the soil for each plant, leaving space between them. Put one plant in each of the pockets.
8. Press lightly to firm the soil around the plants, eliminating any air pockets.
9. Water lightly.
10. Carefully add remaining pebbles if supplied. If your kit contains sand, carefully add the sand at this stage.
11. Clean the glass, inside and out. Be careful not to break your plants in the process.
12. Cover your terrarium.
13. Place your terrarium in bright light, but not in direct sunlight. A north-facing window is best.
14. Check your terrarium the next day to see that light condensation has formed. If it has not, add a little more water. The condensation inside the terrarium will provide moisture for the plants. If there’s too much condensation, open the lid until most of the condensation has evaporated.