FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Margret Delves-Broughton
(860) 496-9624 x6220
AUTUMN IS A GREAT TIME TO PLANT
WHITE FLOWER FARM SAYS FALL IS BETTER THAN SPRING IN SEVERAL WAYS
The growing season seems to be winding down, but the gardeners at White Flower Farm (www.whiteflowerfarm.com) say there's still plenty of time to get a head start on spring. For gardeners in USDA Zones 6-10, autumn is the ideal time to plant most perennials, bulbs, shrubs, and trees.
There is always more to do in the garden in the spring than there is time to do it. A couple of rainy weekends in April can foil the best plans. So the gardeners at White Flower Farm prefer to add perennials, bulbs, and woody plants to their home gardens now.
Fall planting beats spring in a number of ways:
- Cooler daytime temperatures and warm soil encourage root growth with less transplant shock and stress on the plant.
- Rainfall is usually more reliable in autumn than in spring. Less daytime heat also means plants require less water.
- Most insect pests and diseases have completed their annual cycle, so the gardener faces fewer challenges.
- Some perennial stalwarts actually prefer fall planting, including Peonies, Bearded Iris, and Oriental Poppies.
- Spring bulbs such as Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus, and other favorites must be planted in the fall, if they are to bloom in early spring.
- The gardener's "to-do" list is shorter in the autumn, allowing more time for thorough soil preparation.)
- Plants that go into the garden now will be well established by next spring, and ready to start growing as soon as the weather warms. It's like getting a year's head start.
White Flower Farm's Web site provides an A-Z list of Growing Guides in the Gardening Help section so that customers can be successful with every plant they choose. Check out "Gardening Help" at http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/gardening-help.html
Barb Pierson, the nursery manager at White Flower Farm, is available for interviews upon request, as are other experts. Barb is also available for interviews upon request.
Become a Facebook fan of White Flower Farm at
White Flower Farm is a family-owned nursery located in northwest Connecticut. Since 1950, they have been gathering, evaluating, growing, and selling a wide range of annuals, perennials, shrubs, vines, bulbs, and houseplants representing the very best varieties from around the world. Plants shipped are true to name, free of disease, and in prime condition for growing. While in the area, stop by White Flower Farm with its five acres of display gardens, or visit www.whiteflowerfarm.com, where you will also find helpful gardening information including a how-to video library. Join our E-mail list for gardening advice and tips, From the Farm quarterly newsletter, announcement of events at the White Flower Farm Store, and special offers not in our catalogues or on our Web site. White Flower Farm -- we make your garden grow.
Click here for directions to our store: http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/store-directions-new.html