White Flower Farm is seeking to fill the following year-round and seasonal positions for the Spring Season starting in mid - late March in our Morris, CT and Torrington, CT locations.
Assistant to Head Gardener
This is a full time year round position in our Morris, CT location.
Working under the direction of the Head Gardener, the Assistant to Head Gardener is responsible for participating in the care and maintenance of the garden areas on the Farm grounds as well as assisting in the supervision of all seasonal staff. While working as a lead member of the Grounds team, the Assistant works closely with the Head Gardener to learn cultural requirements, watering techniques and planting processes for all gardens and containers. Additionally, the Assistant participates in the Product Development process in all categories related to garden plants.
- Garden Activities: Participate in all garden-related activities. Keep all designated garden areas in impeccable condition. Perform maintenance duties including weeding, edging, raking, deadheading, planting, staking, fertilizing, composting, supervised pruning, and mulching. Ensure garden areas are free and clear of obstructions and kept as neat and clean as possible. Organize garden equipment and tools each day, storing them in their proper locations. Communicate with customers and provide them with guidance and advice for their gardening inquiries. Supervise seasonal staff in their daily gardening tasks under the direction of the Head Gardener.
- Planting Projects: Work with the Head Gardener on planting projects. Spring planting includes perennials, annuals, and shrubs. Fall planting includes bulbs.
- Watering: Participate in watering duties related to the display gardens and planted containers. Learn the watering systems at the Nursery and become familiar with the watering needs of each display garden/container, watering when necessary. Share weekend watering duties as necessary.
- Product Development: Participate in the product development process involved in trialing and evaluating new products within all garden plant categories. Actively contribute new product ideas. Attend new product brainstorming sessions when possible. Attend garden walks as assigned.
- Winter Work: Provide support for product development projects and garden design. During the period beginning mid-November until early Spring, also provide assistance to other departments wherever work is available with the goal of continuous learning of plants and production. The work schedule is dictated by seasonal work availability and the assigned departments may change periodically.
- Equipment and Machine Operation: Utilize garden tractors in a safe and careful manner. Ensure seasonal staff follow safety guidelines and protocols.
- Supervisory Support: Provide Supervisory support to the Head Gardener. Monitor and tend to watering needs of containers and gardens. Oversee administrative duties if required.
- Other functions: Provide assistance for seasonal projects when required. Assist in other departments on rainy days. Participate in all WFF events. Perform other related duties as required.
- Strict attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self-discipline and focus on work related duties.
- Demonstrated understanding of quality and customer service.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperate within a team.
- The ability to lift 50 lbs. or more plus walk, stand, sit and or kneel extensively, and work outdoors in any weather environment.
- Valid Pesticide Applicator's license is helpful but not required.
- Horticultural knowledge gained from previous experience or education.
- Professional gardening experience is required.
- Flexible scheduling of hours, may include some weekends.
- Microsoft Office experience.
- Valid US Driver's License.
- Prior supervisory experience.
Warehouse Associates (Torrington, CT)
Seasonal schedule; 32-40 hours per week, 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, weekends when needed. We're seeking reliable, motivated, hardworking warehouse staff for Picking, Packing, Material Handling and Stocking our shipping facility. $10.10/hour.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and good communication skills;
- Ability to read English;
- Lifting weight of 40 lbs., standing for long periods, and perform repetitive tasks such as bending, lifting and pulling carts;
- May be required to work in areas such as a freezer/cooler at temperatures between 28-38 degrees; and
- Good attendance and punctuality.
Seasonal Retail Store Associate (Morris, CT)
We are searching for weekend associates. The retail store is open from approx. April 1 - November 1, 9:00 am - 5:30 pm, 7 days per week.
The Seasonal Retail Store Associate facilitates smooth and effective transactions for retail customers and visitors. With the primary focus on customer retention, the Store Associate is responsible for ensuring a quality customer experience for each guest to our facility.
- Greet customers and provide necessary services to assist with their purchases. Direct them to appropriate resources, e.g. garden advisors, websites, textbooks, etc., for information and answers to challenging questions.
- Accurately, pleasantly and swiftly complete cash register transactions.
- Provide customers with assistance over the telephone.
- Participate in Store activities including stocking, watering, cleaning, sweeping, and maintaining sales beds, as directed by the Retail Store Manager and/or the Store Product Manager.
- Participate in opening and/or closing activities when required.
- Utilize the catalogue as a resource and sales tool and be familiar with each seasonal version.
- Participate as a staff member for sales and special events that will enhance the shopping experience.
- Participate in the tasks associated with yearly opening and closing.
- Assist in other departments as needed.
- Perform other Store duties, as necessary.
- Demonstrated horticultural knowledge, interest and/or education.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to work both indoors and out in all types of weather.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. and perform physical tasks while standing, sitting, walking, kneeling and/or bending for extensive periods.
- Ability to adhere to the staffing schedule.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
- Ability to perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Experience with office equipment including calculators, cash registers and personal computers.
Horticulture Data Assistant (Torrington, CT)
This position is a 20 hour per week, year-round, benefit level position located at our Torrington corporate headquarters/shipping facility. Flexible work schedule according to business needs.
The role assists Communications team, especially Editor and Writer, by researching new and existing products and maintaining White Flower Farm's (WFF) database of plants and hard goods.
- Product research for new and existing products using web based database. Researching plant heights, growing requirements, sun/shade settings and other data.
- Updates to web based database for new and existing products.
- Research and work on Grow Guides and printed inserts for products. Assess soil depth, watering requirements and any other specific growing tips.
- Research and work on data fields that support Web categories such as identifying if a plant attracts butterflies and if a plant is native or not.
- Research and work on labeling photos with location and type for photography library.
- Proofread data in WFF online and print marketing materials to ensure data on both media outlets match.
- Assist on photo and video shoots as necessary.
- Other Communications team special projects including but not limited to support for special WFF events.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Horticulture knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Basic computing skills including MS office.
If you are interested in joining our team, your options are many:
In person: apply at our headquarters, located at 30 Irene St, Torrington, CT 06790
Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Online: Click here to complete the attached PDF version of our application and email to [email protected]
Postal mail: Manager of Human Resources
White Flower Farm
30 Irene Street
Torrington, CT 06790